A lawnmower keeps your garden beautiful and presentable. It is responsible for cutting tall grass, unnecessary weeds, and rough-looking patches. Proper maintenance is crucial in keeping the lawnmower working efficiently. One has to take care of the cleanliness of different parts too. Cleaning the mower’s blades and the deck is part of the maintenance you have to perform after finishing mowing. The advantage of using a hose attachment on a lawnmower is that you only clean the underside thoroughly, and the engine and other parts keep relatively dry. This blog post will take you through the steps to attach a water hose to your lawnmower. With it, you can clean your mower easily in a couple of minutes.
How to use a water hose attachment on a lawnmower, step by step:
- Step 1: Prepare the mower
- Step 2: Lower the mower deck
- Step 3: Screw the hose attachment to your mower
- Step 4: Let the engine run for a short while
- Step 5: Disconnect the hose attachment and dry the deck
- Step 6: If there is no hose attachment, how to clean the deck
Attaching the water hose itself is relatively simple. It only needs a few basic steps. But you have to be careful as you are exposing a mechanical device to water.
You might have noticed that many new lawnmower decks have a new hose connection point on them. For example, a Craftsman lawnmower’s hose attachment is part of the mower’s deck wash system. The benefits of cleaning the deck start as soon as you finish mowing. You might wonder how to use them, or they are effective, or what precautions you have to take when using them? This blog post tries to answer these questions.
- General Guide:
- Frequently asked questions:
- Final remarks:
While mowing, your mower blades get dirty. If the grass is slightly damp, clippings of grass get stuck together on the mower blades and underside. These clippings increase the chance of rusting, so it is better to clean them after mowing each time. A water hose attachment is the fastest way to solve the issue.
● Step 1: Prepare the mower
Place the lawnmower on a smooth and level surface close to a water source with a hose. Leave transmission in gear and set the lawnmower to the parking brake so that it does not start rolling. Ensure that there is enough gas in the tank as you will have to turn the mower while the water is running. Make sure that all the moving parts have stopped when you start to work.
● Step 2: Lower the mower deck
The next step is to find the water hose port on your lawnmower. It will most likely be present on top of the mower deck that contains the blades underneath. It is present in both push mowers and riding mowers. Now, lower the cutting deck to the lowest level. This step is needed for riding mowers. Push mowers have a fixed deck and need to reduce the cutting height to the lowest level.
● Step 3: Screw the hose attachment to your mower
First, remove the grass bag if your mower has one. Now, inspect the water hose port you found earlier on the mower’s deck. Check the kind of connection you require, a push-in connector or a twisting type. For some models, you have to screw the attachment on the lawnmower deck. Check that the hose has the same connector that your mower requires. Attach the nozzle adapter on the deck washout port. Generally, it is better to use a lock collar to fix the adapter with the mower’s deck attachment. The lock collar releases the water flow when turned clockwise and stops the flow when turned the other way.
Now, open the tap and release the lock collar, letting the water flow. The nozzle connection should be tight. Always double-check the connection because it may come off and wet other parts if it is not tight enough. Especially, the mower’s engine, the battery, and some other electrical parts do not like water, so be careful.
● Step 4: Let the engine run for a short while
After the water starts flowing through, you have to clean the blades thoroughly. To do this, start the engine and let it warm up. Then, engage the mower’s blades and let it run for at least two minutes. As the blades turn, they swirl the water in the deck gushing out the clippings and wiping the blades properly. If you have a riding mower, sit on the seat and move the throttle to the fast position. Run the engine until no more clippings flow down with the water from your mower’s deck.
● Step 5: Disconnect the hose attachment and dry the deck
Now, stop the engine and turn off the water supply. Disconnect the hose attachment from your mower. Start your engine again and run it for a while to dry off the underside of the deck. Another way is to let your mower dry outside.
If you want to clean the top of your mower, you may use a leaf blower once your engine is cooled down but never use water from the hose to clean it.
● Step 6: If there is no hose attachment, how to clean the deck?
The whole procedure is similar. Turn the faucet on and hold the other side of the water pipe opening in your hand. Aim from low to the ground up to the underside of the mower’s deck. That way, the water will hit the blades from the front or rear wheels. Keep a safe distance and spray the water in as the blades spin. This should do the job. You probably need two persons to do this, and the one that holds the hose will probably get quite wet.
1. Use of Pressure washer: Be careful using a pressure washer for cleaning the mower deck because it can force the water into your mower’s critical and sensitive parts. The engine, battery, and other electrical parts do not like water. Also, be careful not to wash away lubrication on various parts
2. Read the manufacturer’s manual: Always read your operator manual. If it says never use water to clean the deck, don’t try to use it even if you have the hose attachment. It is probably better to use an air pump for the same purpose.
3. Scrapping technique: Scrapping under the mower deck is another way of keeping things clean in the mower deck’s underside. You should also check the clippings cluster before you use the water. If you find any uncommon clogging or stuck branches, remove them before the operation.
4. Let the deck dry: Allow the underside of the mower deck to dry properly. You can use an air pump that circulates the air to let it dry faster. Also, never use a mower that has been recently washed to cut grass. Wet blades and deck will stick grass much more easily, and you will end up with the same dirty machine.
Frequently asked questions:
1. Why is there a hose attachment on my lawnmower?
If your lawnmower has a hose attachment, it is there as part of a deck wash system. It helps easily remove grass clippings, dirt, and other debris from under the mowing deck. It will help keep your mower’s components from clogging or jamming and ensure that the machine produces the best possible grass trim. You can clean sharp blades with zero physical contact with them.
2. Is it ok to wash the mower blades with water?
It is completely fine to use the hose attachment. Spraying the water beneath the mower’s deck comes as an additional feature. The mower blades can withstand moisture, branches, and dirt. So, it is perfectly ok to clean them with water. Avoid spraying water on other parts of the mower. And be very careful with using a pressure washer to clean your mower, as it can force the water into unwanted parts. It increases the chance of rusting, seizing, jamming, or problems with the battery or other electrical system parts.
3. What can I do if the water hose attachment is damaged?
If the water hose attachment is damaged, you can always get it repaired at your local dealer. You can also try to fix the broken tip at home with some adhesive or another method. If you use glue, ensure that you do not glue any other parts accidentally. If fixing is not possible, and as a final resort, you can hold the hose over the attachment hole as it is only a 2-minutes job. Also, look into the last step of the blog for an alternative method.
Cleaning the underside of the deck is a job you should do after each mowing session. Regular cleaning of blades and cutting deck makes your machine last longer. Using a water hose attachment makes the job super-fast and easy. There are only a few additional precautions one should take. In this blog post, we have explained how to use the water hose attachment. Ensure you keep the water away from the engine and electrical components. Please do not use a pressure washer, as it often hurts more than it gives. In the last step, we have provided some directions on how to clean without a hose attachment.