Corrosion and rusting of mowing decks are common. Even if all of the inner parts of your lawnmower are in perfect condition, a corroded and worn-out mowing deck will make your machine less useful and even will make it breakdown over time. Eventually, you may even have to throw away your trusty mower. But getting rid of the whole machine is not the solution to this problem. There are several fixes that you can try to repair and maintain your mower deck.
Mowing Deck repair and maintenance:
- Step 1: Remove the rust from your mowing deck
- Step 2: Use Hammerite Kurust
- Step 3: Glass fiber kit
- Step 4: Clean and protect the underside with a silicone spray
This blog contains a step by step guide on how to repair your rusty mowing deck.
- 1 How to repair a rusty mowing deck?
- 2 Are mowing decks interchangeable?
- 3 Different types of mowing decks and their unique features:
- 4 Related questions:
- 5 Final remarks
How to repair a rusty mowing deck?
A rusty mowing deck will affect the performance of your machine. When the grass is somewhat damp or wet, it will stick to the mowing deck’s underside. It will clog and means you have to stop and clean it all the time. When the damage is worse, the grass will not be sucked into the mowers bag. It will follow the path of least resistance and spew out of any hole created by rust and corrosion. If you recognize these issues, we can help you fix them with the step-by-step guide on how to repair a rusty mowing deck.
● Step 1: Remove the rust from your mowing deck.
Clean the area of your mowing deck covered in rust carefully. You must make sure that there are no freshly cut grass clippings, dry leaves, bird droppings, grease, mud, dirt, debris, or stains on your mowing deck. Get a wire brush, it will help you remove the loose parts of paint and flakes of rust. It will give you an excellent surface to work on.
If the mower deck is still in good shape and does not have any holes or very thin parts, it is a good idea to spray the underside of the deck with a high-quality Silicone lubricant. This will protect it and make it smooth so the grass will not stick as quickly.
● Step 2: Use Hammerite Kurust:
Use an old brush to apply Hammerite Kurust on the holes created by the rust in your mowing deck. This is a magical substance that will convert the rusty spots in your mowing deck into an inert, stable surface. This substance also has the power to transform iron oxides into durable iron surfaces. You can also use one of the other brands with similar properties. Check the manual on how to apply it correctly.
Be careful not to put the same brush that you use to apply it into the main Hammerite Kurust container. The original composition will get bad if it is contaminated. It is better to transfer a small amount of the substance into a different container, just as much as you need. After finishing, allow it to dry for at least 15 minutes.
● Step 3: Glass fiber kit:
This product is easy to use because it comes with simple instructions. Make sure you clean the parts that will be covered with the fiberglass as well as you can. This will ensure that it will stick and keeps sticking to the mower deck.
– Things that you will need:
- Application brush
- a pair of good-quality gloves
- a cup for mixing
- 500 mm of resin
To repair a hole created in your mowing deck by rust, follow the below-given instructions carefully.
First, you should wear a pair of plastic gloves before starting. Cut the fiberglass into long and workable strips. Make sure you cut enough, so you don’t have to repeat this step later on. Then mix some hardener and resin. Check the manual of the product for the exact amounts of both.
Make only a small amount of mixture that you can use within 5 minutes. It dries quickly and is difficult to use when it is getting dry. Use the brush to apply the mixture onto the fiberglass strips and put the strips on the holes in your mowing deck. Make sure the sticky side is down.
You must apply the fiberglass mixture generously. If you use more resin to the fiberglass with the brush, you will be able to see the strips of the fiberglass beginning to separate, which is a sign that you have applied an adequate amount of the mixture. Continue applying the mixture on the remaining strips and let them overlap (or better use a 90-degree overlap). It takes up to 20 minutes to allow this substance to harden.
If you want, you can apply another layer of fiberglass on top of the previous. The different layers will set hard and be unbreakable. When the fix is thick and strong enough it is ready to be used
● Step 4: Clean and protect the underside with a silicone spray
When the repair is done, all parts can be cleaned. It is a good idea to spray the underside of the deck with a high-quality Silicone lubricant. This will protect it and make it smooth so damp or wet grass will not stick as quickly.
You have renewed the life of your old mowing deck by just spending $25 and saving more than $1000. Moreover, this task does not need more than one or a couple of hours of your busy time, depending on the size of the hole that you intend to repair.
Are mowing decks interchangeable?
In most cases mowing decks are not interchangeable. Mounting points and pulleys are different from mower type to mower type. Even when the brand is the same. But it is worthwhile investigating if your mower deck is used by other types as well. It is also possible that the lawnmower manufacturer uses the mower deck for multiple brands. Several users have let us know that they have found an identical mowing deck fitted to a product made by another brand. But in all cases, check the dimensions and location of the parts that are mounted to it are exactly similar.
The widths of the different mowing decks vary, and obviously, the lawnmower’s blade’s width needs to match the new deck’s width. Some lawnmower manufacturers don’t have standard deck specifications, but they often share the designs of the decks they manufacture.
Different types of mowing decks and their unique features:
There are two types of mowing decks sold separately on the internet and in your local hardware stores.
- cyclone mowing deck
- Free-floating mowing deck.
You must check your mower’s model number and find a compatible mowing deck if it needs a replacement.
1) Cyclone mowing deck
A cyclone mowing deck is a high-quality, affordable, and heavy-duty alternative to the conventional belt-driven mowing decks supplied by famous brands such as John Deere, Kubota, and Iseki. It is a professional mowing deck characterized by robustness, fuel efficiency, and cost-effectiveness. This mowing deck will help your lawnmower do a perfect job in a place with extremely heavy grass use, such as golf courts, other sports pitches, roadside verges, parks, housing estates, and school grounds.
It is a type of professional mowing deck that delivers an entirely flexible finish in everyday grass or hay mowing tasks yet comfortably copes in severely harsher mowing environments. A cyclone mowing deck has a heavy-duty gear-driven driveline, eliminating all the irritating complications associated with belt-driven mowing decks. The significant features of a cyclone mowing deck include the following:
- Construction: A cyclone mowing deck is constructed out of extremely high-strength stainless steel.
- Mowing Style: A cyclone mowing deck has a rear roller, optional for you to use for an extra striped finish and some additional protection.
- Durability: A cyclone mowing deck has the most extended lifespan and durability in the market because its body is hot-dipped-galvanized.
- Wheels: A cyclone mowing deck has heavy-duty castor wheels that have robust and durable inner bearings.
- User-friendly: A user-friendly height adjustment system is also the main characteristic of a cyclone mowing deck.
- Blades: A cyclone mowing deck has a “tri-cut” blade system, which will provide you with an admirable professional finish in fine turf applications.
- Width: A cyclone mowing deck can cut and mulch material up to 30 millimeters in diameter, even in extreme conditions.
2) Free-floating mowing deck
A free-floating mowing deck moves independently from the rest of the body of your lawnmower. It usually comes with full-width rollers. The main advantage of the free-floating deck is that it will follow the contours of your lawn, and there is a minimum risk of scalping. Most brands have models that use this type of mowing deck. It is attached directly to the mainframe of the lawnmower. The features of free-floating mowing decks include:
- Warranty: A lifetime warranty to put lots of confidence in your purchase when you invest a significant amount of your valuable money into it.
- Movement: The rear rollers of a free-floating mowing deck always move up and down to allow the worker to select his or her preferred cutting height, which causes no uneven cutting and minimizes the risk of scalping.
- Stripping: When the rear rollers of a free-floating mowing deck pass over the blades of the freshly cut grass, this bends them forward slightly; when the rays of the sunlight are reflecting off the blades of the newly cut grass, something wonderful happens. The rows of the grass angled towards the viewer appear darker in color than the rows of the grass angled away from the viewer.
- Blades: A free-floating mowing deck comes with precision matched blades.
- Noise-free operation: A free-floating mowing deck is easy to start and offers smooth and quiet operation.
- Height: You can easily adjust the cutting height of a free-floating mowing deck by merely pushing a button.
- Comfort: A free-floating mowing deck is characterized by a rear suspension, which makes the operator feel 25% less impact than a tractor without any suspensions at all. It has an improved cut and sewn seat to provide lots of comfort and stability to the operator.
- Lights: A free-floating mowing deck has powerful LED headlights to help you work properly if you want to do it after sunset.
- Additional features: A free-floating mowing deck has an improved heat management system.
1. How to clean the underside of my mowing deck?
One of the best and easiest methods to remove the dried grass clippings from the underside of your mowing deck is to use high power water spray. This can be a garden hose or a pressure washer. If you leave the grass clippings under your mowing deck, your machine’s efficiency and performance will be reduced. And it will increase the chance of rust.
2. How to protect the underside of my mowing deck?
Some owners paint the underside of their mowing deck with anti-rust paint. This can be an excellent idea to protect the deck, and it makes cleaning more comfortable. After the anti-rust paint, you can use some other oil-based paint on top.
Another method to protect the underside of the deck is to spray it with a protective solution. First, clean the bottom with a pressure washer or a power hose. Make sure you scrape the underside completely clean and allow the machine to dry thoroughly. When it is dry, spray it with a mixture of diesel fuel and oil; 10% to 25%.
If you have forgotten small bits of rust or any grass clippings on your mowing deck, they will get soaked through this spray. You will find that the dirt comes off even quicker, and the metal will get a protective layer and stay shiny.
After reading this blog post, I am confident that most of your questions will be answered. The instructions, tips, and suggestions included in this blog are proven by experienced mechanics. They will help you maintain your mower deck and improve the life span for many years to come.