In this blog post, I will look at snowblowers from different brands, compare and check the brands, features, pros, cons, ratings, use, and capability of these. These wonderful machines are one of the most useful tools to clean your property from the snow.
What budget snow blower brand is best?
The best brand and type will depend on your requirements and budget. But from our detailed comparison, we identified Toro, Greenworks, and Snow Joe as the best budget snow blower brands. The advantage of electric snow blowers is low maintenance, but they are less suited for large properties.
Scroll on to find out the detailed differences and similarities between the different snow blower brands.
TORO Gas Snowblower
● Toro SnowMaster 724 QXE Gas Snow Blower (model #36002)
The Toro SnowMaster 724 QXE Gas Snow Blower is the most powerful and most admirable gas snow blower in our comparison. It is a two-stage snowblower.
Toro snowMaster has a powerful two-stage auger that moves at the speed 10 times more than any normal gas snowblower. This miraculous snowblower can throw the snow at least 40 feet away. The most attractive feature that makes this snowblower stand out is its Personal Pace self-propel system.
This exceptional feature will follow your preferred gait. Whether you are in a hurry and want to remove the snow as you run across your driveway or you are tired and want to stroll about sluggishly, this is snowblower will not disappoint you. This feature makes it suitable for both young and elderly users.
The weight of this snowblower is 125 lbs. Its chute is very easy to control because of the “Quick Stick” joystick method which allows you to adjust its angle and direction anywhere that you desire. This wonderful snowblower has a huge clearing width which is 24 inches.
It can clear snow as deep as 16 inches. Whether you live in the Northern Polar region or in the extreme Southern hemisphere, this incredibly powerful snowblower will never disappoint you even if you want to remove snow after huge snowstorms that are destructive.
To put a lot of faith and confidence in your upfront investment, Toro backs it with a 3-years limited warranty with the chute, deflector, and lower chute covered by a lifetime warranty. This beautiful snowblower can also handle snow on your gravel sidewalks and driveway. There is a compatible smartphone app that works to help the Toro snowblower users.
The “MyToro” app is a really good and helpful feature that provides you with reminders and notifications for timely maintenance, cleaning up, refueling, etc. This app has the compatibility to automatically track the number of hours that you have used your snow blower and inform you when to perform the maintenance and repair. But for this function, you will need to purchase an extra device which is called Portable Usage Calculator (PUC).
Along with the snowblower itself, its packaging is also admirable. It is delivered with its chute control disconnected and the discharge chute is detached. When this snowblower is delivered, its handles are carefully folded downwards to prevent any undesirable damage during transportation.
The box has simple instructions to assemble the snow blower, and it will take you only a couple of minutes to read them. The complete process of unboxing, assembly, and adding fuel will take less than half an hour to get it started.
- Three years warranty: It is backed by three years limited warranty.
- For fast and slow work: It will move at the speed of your gait, which makes it good for both fast and slow work.
- Good for wet snow: It can handle wet snow very well.
- Tilt the Auger easily: You can tilt the auger up slightly by simply pushing down on the handle of your snowblower.
- Low gas consumption: If you use this snowblower continuously for 1 hour you will consume less than a tank and half a gallon of gas only, which makes it cost-effective.
- No need for a choke: In the case of a flooded engine, there is no need to use the choke when the engine is warm. You must wait for only about fifteen minutes to allow the engine of your snowblower to unflood and simply pull the cord.
- Gravel: You can’t use the snow blowers on gravel because the auger makes contact with the surface and can easily throw rocks that can harm passersby, your property, your pets, and kids. This is why it is very important to put the skid plates of the snowblower as low as possible to allow for the most auger clearance.
- Jerky movements: The self-propelling function has some jerky movements.
- Sometimes clogging: If you go a little too fast and the snow is heavy and packable, the discharge chute of your snowblower may end up getting clogged.
- Noisy: It is very noisy.
- Instructions: The instructions are picture-only and somewhat ambiguous.
- App not free: The compatible smartphone app MyToro compels you to spend an extra $20 to buy a device called Portable Usage Calculator (PUC).
TORO Electric Snowblower
● Toro 38381 18 Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snowblower
The Toro 38381 18 Inch Electric Power Curve Snow Blower is the best electric snow blower in our comparison. The super-powerful snowblower can blow 700 pounds of snow in 60 seconds. Toro is a Spanish word which means ‘bull’ and this beautiful equipment has the power of a bull.
One of the verified customers on Amazon says: “Our driveway is paved and small (it can fit about 4 cars) and it takes me an average of forty-five minutes to clear the whole thing with this awesome machine. The time consumed can vary depending on the depth of the snow but it got through some pretty deep snowstorms. You can easily direct the snow stream output’s direction and distance with a few simple adjustments.”
This powerful and beautiful snowblower is 1.5 ft wide. It has an easy to use electric start system and its motor is 15 Ampere. It is black in color.
The intake height of this snow blower is 1 foot. Its chute is 160 degrees adjustable and rotatable from left to right. Its throwing distance is 30 feet (9 meters) away.
The snow cut depth of this snow blower is 1 ft and the wheel size is 6-inch in diameter.
- Residential use: This snow blower is ideal for residential use only.
- Smaller areas: This snow blower is suitable for a small driveway, walkway, deck, and patio.
- Affordable: This snow blower has an affordable cost.
- Lightweight: This snow blower has a lightweight design (only 12 kg).
- Quick clearing: This snow blower has a technology that helps quick clearing.
- Lift handle: This snow blower has an ergonomic full-bail lift handle.
- Zip deflector: This snow blower has a zip deflector.
- Easy assembly makes it suitable for seniors, weak people and women.
- Warrenty: This snow blower is backed by a full 2 years warranty.
- No cranking is necessary to start this snowblower.
- No Clogging: Its Power curve technology prevents clogging.
- Low noise: It creates minimum noise.
- Safety button: It has a weird safety button or Dead Man’s switch and your hand can constantly slide off and stop the machine.
- Small wheels: Its little plastic wheels can become blocks of ice on really cold days and you will need to knock it off with a hammer. Gravel will break it. A few pebbles are all it takes to crack it.
- Wheel noise: If the wheels are cracked it makes a whole lot of noise.
- Replacements parts: Trying to get a replacement part is not so easy. They are NOT all interchangeable! It is a good machine overall but it has limitations.
SNOW JOE Electric Snowblower
● Snow Joe Ultra SJ 625 E Electric Single Stage Snow Thrower
Snow Joe Ultra SJ 625 E Snow Thrower is the best single-stage snow thrower in our comparison. It is a super powerful snowblower that can blow 800 pounds of snow in 60 seconds, and it is one of the most affordable and best budget snow blowers.
This snowblower is backed by a 2 years warranty from the date of purchase (only if a new product is purchased). The width of this snowblower is 21 inches. It is a single-stage snow thrower.
It has a really strong 15-ampere motor. Its auger is constructed out of steel with a pair of really powerful rubber blades. It is a lightweight snowblower that weighs only 34.6 lbs, making it suitable for elderly citizens, fatigued people, and women.
Its chute is rotatable up to 180 degrees so you can dispose of the snow in any direction that you want so it cannot turn into an obstacle for you or your neighbors. The throwing distance of this really powerful snowblower is 20 ft. It can cut the snow really deep up to 1 foot.
Its wheels are 8 inches wide in diameter. I have watched numerous YouTube videos where the user was using this in the middle of a dark night and it was not so noisy to trouble the neighbors either.
It is suitable for mid-sized driveways and walkways.
- Electric: This is a wonderful slow blower that needs no gas and no oil,
- Low maintenance: It is a low maintenance-free snowblower.
- Lights: The snowblower has really powerful 3 Watt LED lights.
- ETL: It is an ETL approved product.
- Much faster than a manual shovel: It will save a lot of time to clear your driveway and walkway as compared to a manual shovel which needs a lot of effort
- Up to 3 inch of snow: If you get more than three-inch of snow on the ground then its electric motor strains out when going through it.
- Not for wet snow: This is not powerful enough for wet snow. May works better for dry snow.
GREENWORKS Electric Snowblower
● Greenworks 2600402 Pro 80 V 20 Inch Cordless Snow Thrower
The Greenworks Pro 80 V 20 Inch Cordless Snow Thrower is the best cordless snow blower in our comparison.
The greenworks snowblower is 20 inches wide. It has a really powerful brushless motor, and a battery that will run it for 45 minutes. This should be enough to completely clear a long driveway.
A 180-volt lithium-ion 20 Ah battery compatible with this snow thrower is included so you will not have to spend extra money to purchase a battery. It can charge really quickly within half an hour only, so you can clear lots of snow from huge snowstorms instantly. The charger of the battery is also included in the main package.
The GreenWorks pro battery that is included with this snowblower has three extremely useful features: i) Onboard battery life indicator ii) Lithium-ion Technology and iii) Commanding power for its entire run time.
The snowblower can discharge snow up to 20 feet away, you can throw it out of your way so it will not turn into a slippery bundle for you or your kids to slip on.
It is a lightweight machine and it weighs only 33 pounds. Its clearing depth is 10 inches and it can clear a path that is 20 inches wide. Its chute is fully adjustable and rotatable.
It is easy to start by pushing just a single button because it is a cordless electric snow blower. It has really powerful LED lights.
This powerful snowblower is backed by 4 years manufacturer warranty which puts a lot of confidence in your purchase, against defects in materials, parts and workmanship, repair or replacement parts, or product at Greenworks discretion. The battery and charger that is included with the snowblower carry a 2-year warranty.
- No extension cord: For a cordless snow blower, you don’t have to spend money on an extension cord.
- You can use it anywhere: You don’t have to work within a certain range of an electric outlet.
- Brushless motor: The snowblower has a digital controlled brushless motor.
- More torque: As compared to other corded electric snow blowers this one has more torque,
- Quick charging will save a lot of time for busy people.
- Lightweight: It is lightweight and specially designed not to require so much physical strength.
- Long run time: It has a longer run-time which is about 45 minutes,
- Quit: A quiet operation which is good for use in the early morning or late at night.
- Durable: it is constructed out of durable and long-lasting material.
- Long warranty: it is backed by 4 years manufacturer warranty.
Power: One of the verified customers on Amazon says: “not nearly powerful enough to get through more than a dusting of snow.”
Whenever you are planning to buy a new snowblower for the next winter season, it is crucial to know that there are only a handful of snowblower manufacturers out there. A snowblower company called MTD manufactures the Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, and Yard Machines snow blowers. The Husqvarna company manufactures snow blowers under the Husqvarna, Jonsered, and Poulan Pro brands.
Ariens manufactures Ariens snowblowers and Sno-Tek snow blowers. In contrast to these brands, Toro manufactures only Toro snowblowers.
New-generation snow blowers are packed with advanced technologies such as power steering, folding handles, LED headlights, heated handle grips, and drift cutters. With the inclusion of these features, the level of comfort and ease in performing clearing tasks has increased, thereby driving the demand for snowblowers. Manufacturers are emphasizing on introducing lighter, stronger, and durable products in the North America snow blower market.
Comparison and contrast of the brands in these categories
We have added the results from our comparison in the follow table (scroll to the right to see all the columns):
|Brand||Clearing Width||Stage||Power source||Color||intake height||clearing Depth||Chute rotation||Throwing distance||Warranty||Weight|
|Toro SnowMaster 724 QXE Gas Snow Blower (model #36002)||24 inches||Two stage||GAS||Black and red||16 inches||“Quick Stick” joystick method which allows you to adjust its angle and direction||40 ft||3-years limited warranty with the chute, deflector, and lower chute covered by a lifetime warranty.||125 lbs|
|Toro 38381 18 Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower||1.5 ft||Electricity 15 amp motor||Black||1 ft||1 ft||160 Degree adjustable left to right.||30 feet||2 years full||12 kgs|
|Snow Joe Ultra SJ 625 E Electric Single Stage Snow Thrower||21 inches||Single stage||Electricity 15 amp motor||1 ft||180 degree||20 ft||2 years full||34.6 lbs|
|Greenworks 2600402 Pro 80 V 20 Inch Cordless Snow Thrower||20 inches||Greenworks Pro 180-volt lithium-ion 20 Ah BATTERY. It can charge really quickly within half an hour only and run up to 45 minutes.||10 inches||Adjustable and rotatable||20 ft||4 years manufacturer warranty against defects in materials, parts and workmanship, repair or replacement parts or product at Greenworks discretion. The battery and charger that is included with the snowblower carry a 2-year warranty.||33 lbs|
Toro SnowMaster 724 QXE Gas Snow Blower (model #36002) is my favourite snowblower because it is 24 inches wide and it consumes less gas.
Why should I buy a snowblower?
● You should buy a snowblower if you love your car:
You must never overestimate what your car is capable of doing. Some immature drivers make driving errors at the end of their driveways. According to the driving experts, the key to clearing the deep snow at the end of your driveway is to drive your car over it at a very high speed and turn your car only when the front wheel of your car is in your street.
One of the most common driving errors that I have mostly encountered involves slowing down the speed of the car or turning the car prematurely. In each of these cases, the driver found himself or herself stuck at the end of the driveway, requiring a lot of effort to free up his or her car and continue his or her journey. Not to mention the embarrassment and the extra strain on his or her car’s axles, engine, and transmission caused by such unplanned driving errors.
You may not realize it, but there are a lot of moving parts in the braking system of your car. Brakes of your car are hydraulic-powered, so there has to be a tight seal on the brake fluid that passes through calipers and pushes on the brake pads. Snow left in the brakes of your car can damage seals and pads, causing brake fluids to leak.
Leaving your car buried in snow can cause the surface of your brakes to rust, which will cause screeching and squealing when you drive your car. You must make sure that the exhaust pipe and engine bay of your car are clear of snow before starting it up. A blocked exhaust pipe can force deadly carbon monoxide inside your car, and ice in the engine of your car could damage the moving parts or cause a belt to skip off.
Finally, snow and ice that’s packed in the wheels of your car can throw off their balance and cause a rough ride and impaired handling. To prevent all of these unwanted problems go ahead and purchase a reliable snowblower so that you can clear your driveway within a few minutes and prevent the wear and tear on your car.
● You should buy a snowblower if you have to drop kids to school or get to your office at a fixed time early in the morning:
Mostly in North America, especially in Alaska, in the north of Russian Federation, in the northern islands of Canada, on the high mountains of New Zealand, South Korea, North Korea, Greenland, Norway, South America, China, Nepal, and Japan, it snows overnight, making it necessary to get the snow off your driveway before you can drive your car to work early the next morning. Then, it becomes a scramble against time since men, women, and their kids have to get out of bed an hour earlier than usual and clear snow so that men and women can get to their workplaces on time.
And with the kids needing to get to school by a certain time, the parents must watch the weather forecast carefully, and plan for an early jump out of the bed if the weather conditions call for it.
● You should buy a snowblower to save time and money:
If you don’t bother to purchase a snowblower for yourself, you will have to pay a contractor on a per-snowfall basis. The contractor comes and clears the snow off your driveway and sidewalks every time there is a snowfall of over two inches. He will then charge you anywhere between $50 and $100 for this service depending on the location, quality and performance of the contractor.
Here your expenditure depends on how wet the winter in the region that you live in turns out to be. In some cases, you might end up spending more money than a person who pays a flat rate per month, in other cases, you might wind up ahead. I am sure a careful analysis of historical snowfall records will allow you to accurately calculate the expected value of the expenditure per winter season under this pay-per-occurrence scheme, and you can then make a rational decision between pay-per-occurrence scheme and the flat-rate scheme.
If you are situated in the Northern hemisphere, you can hire a contractor from November 15th of one year to March 15th of the next year. The flat rate (starting at $100 per month) ensures snow clearance from your driveway and sidewalks during that full four-month period anytime there are more than two inches of snowfall. The cost is almost always non-refundable, and you get a really good deal if you have a really wet, sloppy winter.
You might not get your money’s worth if it turns out to be an unexpectedly dry winter. One of the most common disadvantages of not buying a snowblower for yourself is that your contractor may be unreliable. Or he may have a lot of clients and a fixed route, or his fixed timings may not work out for you.
I know of no way to get most of these contractors to adjust the thresholds of when and for how much their services will be rendered. For instance, you cannot tell your contractor to clear the snow for you only if it snows over four inches, not two inches. Their prices are set based on the two-inch threshold, and that is what you get.
You cannot ask most of them to rework their entire business plan to suit your budget, timing, location, and needs. Moreover, the snow removal services happen once you have hired them whether you are home or out on vacation or the snowbird season (if you are away from your home for very long periods, you might be able to get the contractor to let you off the hook for the period of your absence, but it is not possible for week-long vacations). So, you might end up paying for a lot of snow-removal by the contractor that you feel was totally unwanted.
Thus, one of the major advantages of buying your snowblower is that you will not have to rely on a contractor’s schedule and timing to have your driveway cleared of snow. And you will not have to spend much effort and time at the task.