Grass needs maintenance during the year to keep it looking good. Lawn Boy Lawnmowers are sturdy machines that help you to keep your lawn well maintained. There are various types and models of lawnmowers in the market, and one could choose what suits him the most by looking at the specific features he needs. The kinds of lawnmowers vary based on functionality, transmission, engine capacity, and operating mode.
One of the types of lawnmower based on operation style is the self-propelled lawnmowers. Many companies produce some top-of-the-line self-propelled lawnmowers, but Lawn Boy could be considered as a worthy mention in this regard. The company has been in the business of manufacturing lawnmowers since 1930 and thus has held quite some credibility in the market. When it comes to self-propelled lawnmowers, Lawn Boys’ lawnmower could be considered a reliable deal.
How to start a lawn boy Self-Propelled Lawnmower, step by step:
- Step 1: Check the Lawn Boy type of ignition system
- Step 2: Prepare the Lawn-Boy lawnmower
- Step 3: Check oil, gas, and the battery in your machine
- Step 4: Locate the Prime Bulb
- Step 5: Open the throttle
- Step 6: Start the engine
- Step 7: Use the self-propel drive
As the name suggests, self-propelled lawnmowers are the ones that are automatically propelled, and hence they save you energy and time. Particular if you have a more challenging yard. They are also superior to the push lawnmowers because they are quicker and easier to operate and maneuver.
This blog post will briefly explain in easy steps how to operate a self-propelled Lawn-Boy lawnmower.
- 0.1 Start your self-propelled Lawn-Boy lawnmower in 7 easy steps.
- 0.2 ● Step 1: Check the Lawn Boy type of ignition system
- 0.3 ● Step 2: Prepare the Lawn-Boy lawnmower
- 0.4 ● Step 3: Check oil, gas, and the battery in your machine
- 0.5 ● Step 4: Locate the Prime Bulb
- 0.6 ● Step 5: Open the throttle
- 0.7 ● Step 6: Start the engine
- 0.8 ● Step 7: Use the self-propel drive
- 0.9 ● Step 8: Stop the Engine
- 1 Advantages of a Self-Propelled Lawnmower:
- 2 If your Lawn-Boy has difficulty starting, check the spark plug:
- 3 Operating Tips:
- 4 Final Remarks:
Start your self-propelled Lawn-Boy lawnmower in 7 easy steps.
● Step 1: Check the Lawn Boy type of ignition system
To start your mower, you should first know the ignition system your Lawn-Boy is using. For self-propelled Lawn-Boy lawnmower, it hardly varies. The ignition system could be either a Prime ‘N Oull system where one needs to prime the cold engine before starting, or it could be the Smooth start Plus, which does not require any priming. The Lawn-Boy Smooth start plus is more common. Your Lawn-Boy self-propelled lawnmower manual mentions what model your machine is if you do not know this.
● Step 2: Prepare the Lawn-Boy lawnmower
Suppose you know the ignition system on your Lawn Boy lawnmower. The next step is to take your Lawn-Boy lawnmower outdoor on an open-air grassy surface that is almost flat. Ensure that there are no rocks, debris, or other sharp items that can potentially harm the machine.
● Step 3: Check oil, gas, and the battery in your machine
To start your lawnmower, you first need to do some important checks. Check the engine oil and gas. You can check the engine oil level with the dipstick. Look at the markings to estimate whether you have the right amount of engine oil or if you need to add some. For gas, it is recommended to use an octane level according to the owner’s manual to keep the engine healthy and get optimal performance.
In the case of a self-propelled electrical Lawn-Boy lawnmower, one must also keep a check of the battery and ensure that it is optimal. If the battery is from an older type, it needs to have the right amount of battery fluid. Make sure that the battery is charged. To make a battery last as long as possible, you should only charged the battery when it is completely drained. Sudden and in-between charges might diminish the health of the battery, but it is sometimes unavoidable.
● Step 4: Locate the Prime Bulb
Once you have made all the prestart checks, the next step is to locate and identify the prime bulb on your lawnmower. Mostly in Lawn Boy self-propelled lawnmowers, the primer bulb is situated in the engine’s side and is coppered by a rubber cap. The primer bulb’s main function is to allow the fuel to enter the carburetor, and this, in turn, primes the engine. One should only press the primer bulb a couple of times as if the primed way too many times, the engine is prone to flooding. Moreover, if the engine fails to start after priming, it is completely usual to prime the bulb a couple more times. Follow the user manual to know the exact times you need to press the blub to exceptional the machine.
Some Lawn-Boy models do not have a primer bulb, and this function is automatically done.
● Step 5: Open the throttle
The throttle lever is located on the body of your Lawn-Boy mower’s engine. This lever acts as the throttle. To start the engine and then eventually keep it running, it is necessary to hold the throttle in a high or fast position.
● Step 6: Start the engine
To start the engine, the Lawn-Boy lawnmower has a control-blade. The control blade acts as a brake and is needed to be pulled against the handle. Once it is held, turn the ignition key for the electrical self-propelled variant or pull the recoil start handle in the available variants.
One may need to give this process several attempts to start his lawnmower.
● Step 7: Use the self-propel drive
The self-propelling Lawn-Boy lawnmower has the self-propelled drive mode. One must squeeze and hold this self-propel drive against the handle and hold it firmly. To disengage it, let go of the drive bar.
This drive is meant for speed. Usually, in Lawn Boy lawnmowers, the rate is fixed. However, if one intends to reduce the speed, increase the distance between the handle and the drive.
● Step 8: Stop the Engine
If you want to stop the engine, let go of the drive control car and remove the ignition key. The lawnmower will stop.
Remember that once the drive control bar is released, it may take a few seconds for the engine and the blades to stop working. If they do not stop within 3 secs, it is recommended to see a Lawn-Boy lawnmowers’ authorized dealership to let it checked.
Advantages of a Self-Propelled Lawnmower:
- Less energy: A self-propelled mower can save a lot of your time as well as energy.
- For challenging yards: r range of ground speeds for either syncing with the operator’s walking pace or various other specific cutting conditions should opt for a variable speed mower.
- Many options: You will not have to sacrifice any features if you are to opt for a self-propelled mower. Almost all models of the self-propelled mower can be used to side discharge or bag grass clippings. A few of them are called 3-n-1 mowers, which means they provide a third option, such as mulching.
If your Lawn-Boy has difficulty starting, check the spark plug:
If your lawn-boy is challenging to start, there can be many reasons. But one of the more common issues is a dirty spark plug, that generates the spark needed to light the gas-air mixture. To fix the problem, you have to check them and clean or replace them. They are usually located around your motor’s backside. To identify the spark plugs, locate a very thick wire leading to a black cap made up of rubber. The spark plugs must be firmly attached and healthy for the engine to start and operate smoothly. Bad functioning spark plugs lead to uncomfortable jerks from your machine now and then.
Remove the spark plug cables, and use a special spark plug wrench to remove them. Check if they are dirty, and clean them with a metal brush. If they look faulty, replace them.
To enjoy your Lawn-Boy self propelling lawnmower, there are some tips to ensure your safety
- Read the manual: One should make sure that he reads, understands, and follows all the user manual instructions before you start it.
- A lawnmower can be dangerous: Always keep clear of the discharge opening and keep your hands and feet away from under or near the machine.
- Know how the mower works: Responsible people with proper know-how of the machine’s working should only operate it.
- Clear the area of debris: The lawnmower’s operation area should be cleared from any debris, rocks, or other objects that could potentially be harmful to the blades.
- Keep other people away: Always make certain that your operating area is clear from all the bystanders. The machine should be stopped if someone accidentally enters the site.
- Do not leave running unattended: Never leave a running machine completely unattended.
In this article, we discussed the method to start the Lawn Boy self-propelled lawnmower. Starting is more than pressing a button. It also involves the prestart activities and certain safety measures. Starting a lawnmower could be a little intimidating for the first time, but if you follow the mentioned steps and take the necessary precautions starting should be no problem.